Driving is always a risk, whether it is a beautiful day out with no clouds in the sky or the rain is pouring down hard. You must always follow proper safety tips before you sit behind the wheel and start driving. Although you may be a safe driver, not everyone on the road is and you cannot rely on the safety of other drivers. Make sure that you are always paying attention and if you see someone to the side of you texting and driving, you should switch lanes and avoid being near distracted drivers. If you yourself tend to become distracted on the road, ensure that when you are driving, your phone is completely away and out of sight; especially if you cannot trust yourself to stay focused. Our Orlando auto accident attorney at JGarcia Law Firm, P.A. discusses ways to avoid car accidents when the weather is bad.
5 Ways To Avoid Accidents During A Rain Storm
Car accidents can happen for any number of reasons including storms. Not all accidents occur due to reckless or careless driving; sometimes when people drive in the rain or other bad storm conditions, they are putting themselves at risk for a car accident. Here are a few tips to avoid accidents that our Orlando auto accident attorney wants to share with you:
- Slow Down- This tip may seem obvious when it is storming out but surprisingly not many people implement this safety tip. Driving slower will allow for more distance in between you and the car in front of you which will in turn help with better reaction time. It will also help with your tire traction because when it rains, grease and oil build up on the road and tire tractions suffer.
- Use Your Headlights- In the rain, it is very hard to see ahead of you and headlights are a helpful tool to watch out for the cars in front of you and their reactions to the road.
- Brake Gentle- Since the roads will be slippery during rain fall, stopping too quickly may cause your wheels to lose traction and your car may skid. If this happens, do not panic! Do not try to make any sudden turns, instead, remain calm and steer straight until your car regains traction.
- Look Out For Pedestrians- Just because it is raining, doesn’t mean there aren’t still pedestrians on or near the road. Any time you are on the road you need to be vigilant of pedestrians at all times.
- Avoid Using Cruise Control- Make sure your foot is near the brake pedal during the rain storm. This is imperative in order for you to slow down and regain control if your vehicle hydroplanes.
How To Prepare For The Rain Before Driving
If it is raining before you start driving, consider reviewing safety tips. Although this may seem unnecessary and you know you will be careful on the road, reiterating driving safety tips can save your life. You cannot control other people on the road but you can control yourself and your driving skills. Make sure you are staying safe and taking extra precautions before sitting behind the wheel of a car when it is raining.
When you are driving in the rain, make sure you follow these safety tips that our Orlando auto accident attorney has shared with you. You want to avoid accidents at all costs and following certain rules when driving can save your life and prevent accidents. For more information about driving in the rain, call JGarcia Law Firm, P.A. today at 407-649-6448 or visit our website! 411attorney.com.